Available July 2008
A DAISY book is a set of digital files that includes:
- One or more digital audio files containing a part or all of the
- A marked-up file containing some or all of the text (strictly speaking, this marked-up
text file is optional);
- A synchronization file to relate markings in the text file with time points in the
audio file; and
- A navigation control file which enables the user to move smoothly between files
while synchronization between text and audio is maintained.
ReadHowYouWant uses proprietary technology to convert print titles to DAISY
books, using computer synthesized voices (Text to Speech). We use industry leading Nuance RealSpeak Solo engine for speech synthesis.
The content of the book is checked for the presence of the following:
- Non-Phonetic words
These words are then processed and their pronunciation is verified by looking at
their context to ensure correct pronunciation.
The tables in the text are described in a linear manner by announcing the cell position
and then the data contained in the cell. For example, we would say “row 1, column
1, cell data.” A descriptive summary of the table can also be added.
If the original print book had an index, our sophisticated technology enables us
to reproduce the index in a DAISY audio book without the help of any external plug-in.
The indexing has been implemented within the specifications of DAISY 2.02 and DAISY
NISO/2005, so all the existing players which support the above DAISY standards will
support our index. The index is added at the end of the text of the book and is
displayed in the text window/view of the DAISY readers so that people can hear the
whole index, but the index is not navigable from this window.
Navigation is provided – the navigational component of the DAISY book is built with
the index embedded into it. The index entries can be clicked to navigate to the:
- Top of the page where the word/index entry is present, or
- Start of the paragraph containing the index entry.
Users will be able to select:
- Whether the DAISY NIMAS 2005 book comes as text only or with a synthesized voice
- Accent—U.S. or UK
- Gender—male or female voice
- Pitch and speed of voice—further user selection options will be added over time
- Index navigation
DAISY/NISO Standard, ANSI/NISO Z39.86-2005
Click to Download Audio Book Sample | Click
to Download DAISY Book